With a week left of school, we've been gearing up for an EPIC summer! With the new DreamWorks’ animated comedy "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie” coming out, I thought it would be fun to make DIY Superhero Capes to celebrate!
“Captain Underpants - The First Epic Movie” came out in theaters on June 2. That's the first full weekend of summer, and we can't wait to see it! Even more exciting, one of our favorite drinks, Tampico, partnered with DreamWorks for the Captain Underpants movie, so we bought a few gallons of the drink and got to making our epic costumes!
These DIY costumes are so easy, you just need an old t-shirt, a pair of scissors and some underwear! It's definitely something you can make on a whim - right when your child says "I'm bored" or "There's nothing to do!" (We all know those words will come up over the summer break at some point.)
DIY Captain Underpants T-Shirt Cape
We found one of my older son's old 5K run t-shirts, and thought it would be perfect for my younger son. You will want a shirt that isn't too small, and make sure it's good on the length. I like to use a shirt that currently fits or one a size bigger. Don't worry that the shirt has a design on it or that it's wrinkled. This t-shirt cape is so easy; you don't even need to iron it first.
- Start by laying the shirt flat, so you can cut both side "seams" of the shirt. (step 1)
- Do this on both sides of the shirt, going right up the side fold/seam, trying to stay as straight as possible. (step 2)
- When you've cut both side seams, lay the shirt flat, to "open" it up. (step 3)
- For the neck line, start from the shoulder and gradually cut toward the shirt collar. (See picture below. You can also draw this on beforehand, if it helps.)
That's it! You can make this superhero t-shirt cape in about 2 minutes! Pour your child a cup of Tampico and they can enjoy it while Mom makes the costume!
Make sure you watch for fun prizes on Tampico's Facebook page, including a grand prize of two tablets and family 4-Packs of movie tickets.
In partnership with DreamWorks’ animated comedy "Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie," Tampico Beverages, one of the world’s leading beverage brands, is introducing its “Unbottle Laffter” contest. Participants can enter now through 11:59 p.m. EST July 13 by visiting Tampico’s Facebook Page and commenting on a contest post. The first 20 entrants to respond to a contest post will receive a family pack of movie tickets. Additionally, every entrant will be automatically entered for a chance to win the Grand Prize: a pair of tablets for laughing, learning and enjoying life together. The grand prize winner will be announced July 14. Participants are also invited to enjoy Tampico’s Prank Board, a collage of hilarious sounds in the style of Captain Underpants.
Participation is easy:
- Every two weeks, visitors of com/DrinkTampico may enter the contest by providing creative responses to irresistibly silly superhero requests posted to the page.
- The first 20 entries to every contest post will be awarded with a family four-pack of movie tickets valued at $50 via Fandango.
- Every participant is automatically entered into the sweepstakes for the Grand Prize: a pair of tablets (Large “Superhero” and Mini “Sidekick” size).
The Prank Board can be accessed by all at: UnbottleLaffter.tampicoiscolor.com.
Participants must be age 17 or older to be eligible. For more information, including no-purchase entry, visit TampicoIsColor.com.